First Degree Child Abuse

Grand Rapids Child Abuse Lawyer

Grand Rapids Child Abuse Lawyer - Annoyed Child


If you have been accused of First Degree Child Abuse in Grand Rapids or anywhere else in Michigan, you need an experienced Grand Rapids Child Abuse Lawyer. Many criminal defense attorneys will take child abuse cases, but many don’t have the experience in child abuse cases that the lawyers at Miel & Carr have.

Child Abuse in the First Degree


Child Abuse in the First Degree is a felony punishable by up to life in prison. According to Michigan law, a person is guilty of Child Abuse — First Degree if


the person knowingly or intentionally causes serious physical or serious mental harm to a child. Child abuse in the first degree is a felony punishable by imprisonment for life or any term of years.


Serious physical harm, as defined by Michigan law, can be anything from a sprain to serious brain damage. Many cases of child abuse that we have defended have arisen out of legitimate parental discipline that it blown out of proportion by CPS agents or police officers or by false reports by angry ex-spouses.


Another class of child abuse is the “shaken baby syndrome” case. If you have been falsely accused of shaking your child, you need to speak with an attorney who understands the law and science behind shaken baby cases. In many cases, a forensic pathologist and a bio-mechanical engineer can prove that a child was not shaken when a doctor wrongfully claims that your child was shaken.


 Hiring the right Grand Rapids Child Abuse Lawyer


Unfortunately, we’re frequently consulted by parents after it’s too late to help. When you’re dealing with your freedom and your children, you ought to make sure that you’re completely comfortable with your attorney. If you have questions, we would be happy to meet with you and discuss how we defend cases.


If you have been accused of child abuse and you need an attorney or wonder whether your attorney is handling the case well,  call us to discuss your case. We can be reached at 616-773-2945 almost any time. If we don’t answer in the middle of the night, leave a detailed message and we’ll call you back.